Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mumbly

Yesterday, this blog was 1 year old.

I made red wine fudgesicles in its honor. (Also for the two upcoming summer-y events, but whatever. Don't make the blog feel bad - I ate one yesterday in it's honor.)

Also, I sang Happy Birthday to Mumbly. (my blog's nickname - ok, I just made that up now, but it sort of cracks me up. So it's going to stick. I love to name inanimate things. Recently I named a tree Slim Shady and my cell phone's name is Ann Droid. Also, I like tangents. If you've been here before that's not news though...) I didn't actually get to blogging Happy Birthday on the day though. Life is so distracting sometimes. Sorry Mumbly.

Anyway, a year of blogging makes me think about words. I love words - and that is basically why Mumbly exists.

Words have power. The words we say. The praise we lavish or withhold. The advice and direction we give. The criticism and less than kind words that slip out. Our gushing and our whining and our storytelling. And the things we don't say. Our attitude, our tone, our vocabulary, our grammar (you heard me people!) all of it has meaning.

Thanks for reading. I'm not sure why you're putting up with my attitude, tone, or grammar, but I'm glad you're here.

That's another thing about words. We all want ours to be heard.

Sometimes I like to pretend words don't matter. I like to play it cool. To pretend that I haven't been sliced to the core by a string of little, not-so-harmless, words. I totally do this - but I really, really don't believe it...

They matter.


And they linger. 


I don't know how to string mine together just right sometimes. Let's be honest, most of the time...

For example, I'm just not much of a praise gusher. And, to be honest, I find it rather suspicious at times. I'm an actions speak louder than words sort of girl. There are people in my life who pour on a lot of gushing praise, but fail a little too often in the follow through. I suppose that has made me a little jaded and ungushing. I'm going to work on figuring out how to make the words and the actions and my sentiment all line up a little more. Praise and beyond...

Words aren't the whole package - but they certainly matter.

So, I'm going to keep working on stringing them together more... right. {?} That's probably a piece of why Mumbly and I are here. I set out here because I sincerely like to share. I'm learning more and more that there's room for improvement though. And this is a great place to practice getting it right. Sorry for the blunders you have and no doubt will continue to encounter. I'll keep trying to get the words to line up with the sentiment and action.

Thanks for listening. You're a very good listener.  

3 comments:

  1. Happy Blog-iversary! My one year was June 25th and I completely forgot to celebrate it. How about a recipe for those red wine fudgesicles? They sound intriguing and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour again! There's a little something for you at my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh. A surprise? I'm on my way over to Provence right now...

      The red wine fudgesicle recipe is here: http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/06/red-wine-fudgesicles.html

      I think I'd adapt it with whipping cream or gelatin or something to smooth out the texture a bit more next time. They were QUITE tasty though.:)

      Delete

Yay! You're leaving me a message! I love it when my rambling becomes a conversation. THANKS! :)